04 November 2008

cost-efficiency

Last week I dropped a class because my courseload was too much. This week I'm wondering if it is actually more cost-effective to not overload on courses and be able to enjoy all the extras that being at a university provides -- free lectures, events, performances, etc. Had I not dropped the course, I would not have the time to write an essay for the scholarship I'm applying for. I was also too busy to cook at home before the drop, which is cheaper, and I get sick less when I'm not ridiculously stressed.

The only real cost, I suppose, of taking longer to graduate is the foregone earnings. The other semester fees only account for maybe $300 - $400 over tuition, though I suppose with the economic crisis tuition prices may increase (lower stock value = lower returns on university endowments = less money for the school) and because of that there may be something for graduating as soon as possible.

In any case, this is all theoretical... dropping the class isn't going to affect my graduation date.

1 comment:

Quebecca said...

You've been working for M.P. for too long