09 November 2007

support your snide local businesses

I stopped in today at the local music store.

Now one expects a certain amount of cockiness in the clerks at any local music establishment.

But I draw the line at flat-out rudeness. And in that case I have no moral qualms over going home sans purchases and downloading music off the very non-local, non-independent iTunes Store, thus by-passing the local business altogether. Why no moral qualms? Because even though I believe in supporting local businesses, and the variety in culture and product choices it promotes, I also believe in reducing my environmental impact, which downloading mp3s over buying hard-copy cds promotes.

Certainly a local music store, facing a tough fight for survival with the growing popularity of both pirating and legitimate online mp3 sales, would realize that screwing over it's customers is probably not a good strategic choice in terms of economic sustainability.

But that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

Caro said...

Well, I think I know exactly how you feel. There is this little whole-food-store near where I live and I used to shop there....until I got fed up with their snobby behaviour. They treated me like someone who strolled in there to vandalize or steal. I am all in favor of supporting local buisnesses BUT I especially expect good custom service in those shops.