28 June 2009

Ruedas and Otavalo

I'm heading to Cuenca today, leaving the hostel and all the Lonely Planeteers behind. I'm happy to be going and to live in a more home-like environment, and also eager to start working on my Spanish. Quito is wearing on me... it's a bit dirty and somewhat dangerous. Though there are plenty of people who seem comfortable and make a good living, the poverty does somewhat stare you in the face, waiting for you to blink first.

Success on the finding salsa in Quito, aided in part by the fact that I had done some research beforehand. I went out last night to a salsa club and was happy to find no LA style, but mostly Cuban and CaleƱo. And ruedas! And yes, that's plural on purpose. At the peak of the dancing, there were three different circles going on at the same time from three different groups.

I sat for awhile lusting after a particular rueda group that was performing very well, wondering if it would be appropriate to butt in without a partner. It was probably a full thirty minutes later when half the group sat down, leaving 4 leads and 3 follows... and of course I seized the opportunity. I ran up to the solo lead and asked, "I can join them?" (my Spanish still a little shaky), but I got my point across, and danced one of the most fun and exciting (in that I knew almost none of the moves other than dame) ruedas ever. They knew some very cool moves, unfortunately I could barely hear the calls so I don't know what any of them are. But I picked up some cool tricks that I want to bring back to Ritmos Latinos.

Yesterday I took a bus trip up to Otavalo, the artisan market, but I kind of wish I hadn't. A bit of a tourist trap. Though I did pick up a couple nice items... including some handmade knitting needles. Ok, so technically they're hair pins, but for my own purposes, knitting needles. I also finally found a little shop selling CHEAP alpaca (I assume) yarn! It's definitely wool, I'm just not entirely sure from which animal. It has a nice turquise-dark blue-bright blue-white colorway, and made about 4 balls of yarn when I wound it. Enough for a whole sweater, probably. Three dollars for what would probably cost around 40 or 50 in the states.

On the bus trip up, we had a full bus when a very old, hunched over indigenous woman in traditional dress boarded the bus. She could barely walk and keep her balance. Sensing my parents' eyes upon me, I offered my seat, meaning I had to stand for most of the 3 hour bus ride. Not very much fun, I have to say, and I had to catch myself from feeling resentful. But I do try to be grateful for the creature comforts of home, and remember that 3 hours on my feet is a lot less hardship than many people here, and everywhere, experience.

At this point I already have a bit of a stash of yarn with me, despite my attempts at not going overboard. I'm a bit predictable, what can I say?

No comments: