This morning I put a plate in the microwave to heat up the chumales left out for me for breakfast, but the plate started sparking. I hadn't realized it had metal in the design... fortunately I had only turned the microwave on for a few seconds and the thing didn't explode.
All the neurons in my brain are all a twitter, trying to make sense of the sudden change of language as if news of a crisis had just arrived at the war room. Suddenly I'm about half as competent as I was in the states... and my brain is working it's hardest to try to get back up to full capacity. Although... I had to admit I enjoy the relative solitude, even when walking through a crowd.
Hearing and speaking English is already strange... though there are plenty of American students at CEDEI, it feels strange to be able to communicate so easily. It takes me a moment to switch from my largely introverted Spanish brain system to the more easy-going and self-assured English brain. Living in Spanish is making me more reluctant to communicate in English as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i have a friend who lived in mexico for a summer and said he would still have dreams in spanish, that that was a weird thing.
also, i'm glad you are blogging again. i love your writing. :)
Thanks Purds. My goal is to accidentally start speaking in Spanish to someone who doesn't understand it.
Post a Comment